OBP Medical Announces Improved ER-SPEC LED Light Source
New, Integrated LED Offers Improved Color and Brightness, Enhances Functionality of Widely-Adopted, Single-Use Vaginal Speculum
Dec 10, 2014, 08:30 ET from OBP Medical
LAWRENCE, Mass., Dec. 10, 2014 /PRNewswire/ — OBP Medical, the leading global developer of single-use, self-contained, illuminating medical devices, today announced that ER-SPEC, the company’s industry-leading disposable vaginal speculum with built-in light source, will feature a new and improved light-emitting diode (LED). Custom developed for OBP and ER-SPEC, the new LED offers improved color and brightness, enhancing the already high level of functionality and usability that customers have come to expect.
ER-SPEC is a completely self-contained and entirely disposable vaginal speculum, meaning the device comes out of the package ready to use and is thrown away after a single procedure. ER-SPEC boasts an integrated, hands-free, single-use light source that makes rechargeable and plug-in light sources obsolete. These features eliminate the time and expense of reprocessing, while reducing the risk of cross-contamination inherent with reusable devices and external light sources. Designed with physician offices, clinics and acute care settings in mind, ER-SPEC offers clinicians a cost-effective solution that allows them to complete pelvic exams faster and more efficiently than ever before, while delivering an improved patient experience.
The new ER-SPEC LED light source offers numerous benefits and enhancements, including:
- A white light that gives clinicians a more natural view. Gone are the days of lights with a “bluish” or “yellowish” tinge; the light emitted from the new ER-SPEC LED is truly white.
- A level of brightness that exceeds most hospital operating rooms. Unlike devices that carry light from the base of the handle to the blades of the speculum through a light pipe, during which illumination strength is lost, ER-SPEC’s light shines directly down the blades, allowing for optimal visualization during exams and procedures. A recent illumination study of single-use vaginal speculum light sources conducted by OBP Medical compared ER-SPEC to several competitors and found that the illumination strength of the ER-SPEC LED (measured in LUX, or luminous flux per unit area) was far superior.
- A light source that is activated by simply pulling a tab and generates no heat, meaning it remains cool to the touch and eliminates the risk of harm to the patient during a procedure.
- A light source that is single use, meaning it possesses only enough battery chemistry for a single procedure (approximately 30 minutes at peak power), after which it is disposed of. Unlike devices that use lithium batteries, which are a hazardous material not likely to be accepted as medical waste, ER-SPEC’s light source utilizes landfill-friendly conventional alkaline button batteries (no heavy metals) and are compatible with most medical waste procedures.
- A light that requires no cleaning or charging/recharging and never needs to be found or assembled prior to an examination or procedure.
“At OBP, we are dedicated to constantly improving upon the functionality and usability of our products and the new ER-SPEC LED light source is a perfect example of that commitment,” said Jeff Swift, CEO of OBP Medical. “Already broadly adopted by healthcare organizations across the country, ER-SPEC is the speculum of choice for providers who recognize not only the value of a disposable vaginal speculum, but even more importantly the benefits of a speculum with a bright, fully integrated light source. With ER-SPEC, clinicians are empowered to deliver efficient, high-quality care while supporting critical infection control initiatives—we think that’s a win-win for our customers and the healthcare system at large.”
Additional ER-SPEC benefits include:
- ER-SPEC is made from high-quality acrylic and adheres to the most stringent manufacturing guidelines to ensure the safety and comfort of patients during pelvic exams; the device is less likely to break under strain, will not pinch and has locking hinges for added strength and stability.
- ER-SPEC is latex free, eliminating the potential to cause an allergenic reaction in patients.
- ER-SPEC has a comfortable, ergonomic design, making it easy for clinicians to balance and maneuver during exams and enhancing comfort for patients.
- The ER-SPEC is available in both sterile and non-sterile versions and in small, medium and large sizes.
- ER-SPEC is a 100 percent single-use device—it is completely hygienic and requires no cleaning/reprocessing, reducing the risk of cross-contamination from poorly cleaned, reusable components.
ER-SPEC with the new LED light source is now available for purchase at www.obpmedical.com and available on MedAssets, HealthTrust, Amerinet and Novation contracts. For more information about ER-SPEC, please visit https://obpmedical.com/product/er-spec or contact OBP at (978) 291-6853. OBP is proud to be ISO13485 certified.
About OBP Medical
OBP Medical is the leading global developer of single-use, self-contained, illuminating medical devices. Founded in 2006, OBP Medical enables simpler, safer, and more cost-effective procedures that lead to better patient outcomes. Clinicians no longer have to worry about finding, replacing or cleaning reusable light sources, enabling faster patient throughput and a reduction in the risk of cross contamination. OBP Medical’s built-in LED light sources make reusable light sources a thing of the past. Our single-use lights are the brightest on the market, allowing for optimal visualization during procedures. Our innovative products are used in physician offices, surgery centers and more than 2,000 hospitals throughout the U.S., as well as healthcare facilities worldwide. For more information about OBP Medical and its innovation line of self-illuminated medical devices, please visit www.obpmedical.com, check out our Simple.Bright.Ideas.BLOG or follow us on Twitter.