OBP Medical’s ER-SPEC Exceeds 2,000 Customers
Clinical and Operational Benefits of Single-Use Speculum with Built-In Light Source Drive Rapid Customer Adoption
LAWRENCE, Mass., Feb. 3, 2015 /PRNewswire/ — OBP Medical, the leading global developer of single-use, self-contained, illuminating medical devices, today announced that more than 2,000 customers have adopted ER-SPEC, the company’s disposable vaginal speculum with built-in light source. Designed to provide greater functionality and efficiency over existing disposable devices, while reducing the risk of cross-contamination from improperly cleaned reusable parts, components and devices, ER-SPEC has quickly become the new gold standard in vaginal speculums for clinicians at leading healthcare organizations across the country.
ER-SPEC customers represent leading health systems, teaching hospitals and community providers from across the U.S. and include:
- Brigham and Women’s Hospital (BWH) in Boston, Massachusetts—a 793-bed nonprofit teaching affiliate of Harvard Medical School and a founding member of Partners HealthCare, BWH has more than 3.5 million annual patient visits and is the largest birthing center in Massachusetts.
- Ochsner Medical Center in Baton Rouge, Louisiana—part of the Ochsner Health System, southeast Louisiana’s largest non-profit, academic, multi-specialty, healthcare delivery system, Ochsner Medical Center encompasses a 151-bed hospital, 13 health centers and a team of more than 100 physicians.
- UF Health Jacksonville in Jacksonville, Florida—the region’s premier academic health center with more than 695 beds and 5,000 faculty and staff, UF Health Jacksonville is a leader in the education of health professionals, a hub for clinical research and a unique provider of high-quality patient care.
- Vanderbilt Medical Center (VUMC) in Nashville, Tennessee—among the nation’s premier teaching hospitals, VUMC is a comprehensive healthcare facility dedicated to patient care, research, and biomedical education, and is a major patient referral center for the Mid-South.
- UCLA Health System in Los Angeles, California—consistently ranked among the top hospitals in the country by U.S. News and World Report, UCLA Health System, which includes Ronald Reagan UCLA Medical Center in Westwood and UCLA Medical Center, Santa Monica, provides leading care and the latest in medical technology to the people of LA and the world.
- University of Louisville Hospital in Louisville, Kentucky—an academic hospital at the heart of the Louisville Metro area, University Hospital is part of KentuckyOne Health. It is at the center of the latest developments in patient care and pioneers treatments that are shaping the future of health care.
“Our emergency department is continually looking to enhance clinical workflows while improving patient care and ER-SPEC allows us to accomplish both goals,” said Bonnie Suydam, MSN, RN, CEN, of UH Case Medical Center, a 1,032-bed tertiary medical center in Cleveland, Ohio specializing in adult/pediatric medical and surgical specialties. “With ER-SPEC, our staff no longer have to search for light sources or leave patients in exam rooms while we track down equipment. As a result, we are able to increase efficiencies and save up to 15 minutes per exam while improving patient satisfaction and supporting our infection control initiatives.”
ER-SPEC is a completely self-contained and entirely disposable vaginal speculum, meaning the device comes out of the package ready to use and is thrown away after a single procedure. ER-SPEC includes an integrated, hands-free, single-use LED light source that makes rechargeable and plug-in light sources obsolete. These features eliminate the time and expense of reprocessing while reducing the risk of cross-contamination inherent with reusable devices and external light sources. Designed with physician offices, clinics and acute care settings in mind, ER-SPEC allows clinicians to complete pelvic exams faster and more efficiently than ever before while delivering an improved patient experience.
“With ER-SPEC, we weren’t looking to completely redesign the disposable vaginal speculum, but instead to take a device used day in and day out in hospitals, clinics and physician offices and improve it in a way that delivers immediate value to clinicians and patients,” said Jeff Swift, CEO of OBP Medical. “Rapid customer adoption tells us that the ER-SPEC meets a clear, critical need to reduce cross-contamination risk, save time and enhance patient care. We’re excited by our customer response and look forward to continuing our industry-leading service and support to help customers exceed their goals.”
ER-SPEC is available for purchase at www.obpmedical.com and available on MedAssets, HealthTrust, Amerinet and Novation contracts. For more information, please visit https://obp-surgical.accomplishagency.com/product/er-spec or contact OBP at (978) 291-6853. OBP is proud to be ISO13485 certified.
About OBP Medical
OBP Medical is the leading global developer of single-use, self-contained, illuminating medical devices. Founded in 2006, OBP Medical enables simpler, safer, and more cost-effective procedures that lead to better patient outcomes. Clinicians no longer have to worry about finding, replacing or cleaning reusable light sources, enabling faster patient throughput and a reduction in the risk of cross contamination. OBP Medical’s built-in LED light sources make reusable light sources a thing of the past. Our single-use lights are among the brightest on the market, allowing for optimal visualization during procedures. Our innovative products are used in physician offices, surgery centers and more than 2,000 hospitals throughout the U.S., as well as healthcare facilities worldwide. For more information about OBP Medical and its innovation line of self-illuminated medical devices, please visit www.obpmedical.com, check out our Simple.Bright.Ideas.BLOG or follow us on Twitter.